Casey has been very excited about this idea he had last night. It is so cute!
Anyway, it has to do with knitting so please, if you have a second, click on the thumbnail below to look at the screenshot and read his description. Let us know what you think, ok? Worth the time to develop? Would you use it? Any ideas for improvement or alterations are welcome!
Passing the mike over to Casey now.
I’ve put together a screenshot and some *rough* notes on a knitting website idea. (PS – entangled.net is taken. I just needed something to put in there…)
The idea is to create an encyclopedia of cool patterns (and yarn too??) and mix in blogging and other social aspects. I think that it would be nice if knitters had a place where they could share their completed creations, get help for works in progress, and get ideas for future projects. It’s also important that people can contribute to the site with very little effort by simply blogging or bookmarking. Here are the features that I’ve come up with:
- Complete patterns (if free) or information on where to get them
- Easily searchable by name, type (scarf, mittens, baby) and by “tag” (see bookmarking section below)
- Corrections, both official and from knitters
- Photos, both official and from knitters (more below)
- What about yarn substitutions?
Community aspect of patterns
- Related blogs. Blogs can be automatically picked up and matched with entries via Technorati. More reliable matching can be done if knitbloggers ping the site. Even better auto-matching and tagging as done, wip, bookmarked (see below) could be done for bloggers that want to add (hidden) pattern tags to their entries.
- Comments from knitters (on modifications, alternative yarns, whatever). A threaded discussion format that allows replies and send out email notifications would be nice for people that had questions about a pattern. Would corrections go here or somewhere more formal?
- Photos of people’s work, uploaded or linked
- Ratings system so that people can vote on the pattern, plus aspects such as difficulty, cost, etc etc.
Sharing and bookmarking
- Allow people to publicly bookmark patterns they like by tagging them. By doing this, we can allow people to find new patterns by browsing tags and by looking at bookmarks of other knitters.
- Allow users to file pattern under “todo”, “work in progress”, “completed”. Create plugins for Movable Type, etc so that bloggers can integrate their filed patterns into their blog sidebars or whatever.
- The above information will all be public, so that a user who is browsing a pattern page can look at the people who have filed it in completed, wip, etc…
- Some sort of recommendation system based on the above might be nice. If someone else out there often knits the same patterns as you,it would be nice to know when they’ve started (or even bookmarked) a new one.
- It might be cool if you can opt to be notified by email when information (correction, photo, etc) is added to a pattern that you are working on.
- Would a sister directory (much like the above) or yarn be useful? Yarn ratings, comments, blog entries, bookmarks, cross-references to patterns, etc…